Photo:

Valeria Senigaglia

Chat are so much fun!! Thanks everybody!

Favourite Thing: Discover what animals are doing and why. Unravel why they make the choice of being friend with somebody but not with somebody else.

My CV

Education:

2005_highschool diploma_Liceo Classico Berchet (Italy); 2009_BSc_ University of Parma (Italy); 2011_MRes_Aberdeen University(UK)

Qualifications:

MRes

Work History:

University of Aberdeen (UK), NGO CIRCE (Spain); Dalhousie University (Canada)

Current Job:

I work as a researcher in the Philippines

Employer:

the NGO Physalus

Me and my work

I work with dolphins. I spend 10% of time looking at very cool real dolphins and then I spend the remaining 90% playing with virtual dolphins.

I enjoy unravel the mistery of dolphins society and communication. Why some dolphins like some but not everybody. How do they show their affection, who are and how do they call their best friends.

My Typical Day

I usually have very long days and they usually involve behavioural theories, statistic analyses and tons of coffee.

During field season, I wake up very early and have a coffee. Then I take my camera, GPS and notebook and I spend several hours, sometimes more than 10, on a boat collecting data on dolphins behaviour. Then during University season, I still wake up very early and have my first coffee but then I spend my days, still long, in front of a computer screen creating lines of code that may help me to understand what exactly I saw in the field and especially why.

What I'd do with the money

I would use the money to organize an event at my local aquarium to show blind kids whales and dolphins world using only sounds. It will be in the most complete dark, open to everybody to experience what does it means to be blind or to be at great depth with no light and how dolphins solved the problem using echolocation. The same event can be organized in every city!

My Interview

How would you describe yourself in 3 words?

Determined, passionate (almost nerdy) and coffee addicted

Who is your favourite singer or band?

I enjoy very different music from linking parks to jack johnson depending on the moods

What is the most fun thing you've done?

I’d say rafting on the Alpes

If you had 3 wishes for yourself what would they be? - be honest!

more money to conduct my research, a vineyard in tuscany and teleport! Mainly the teleport…

What did you want to be after you left school?

I always wanted to study animal behaviour but I was debated between it and study japanese culture and language..I still want to do it.

Were you ever in trouble in at school?

When I was very young, i always hated unfair so I used to fight for what i believed in and sometimes this lead me to troubles. I still hate unfair but I learnt how to properly address the problem as I realized that fight only worsen the problem instead of solving it.

What's the best thing you've done as a scientist?

Seeing the biggest animal on earth, the blue whale!

Tell us a joke.

Other stuff

Work photos:

myimage2 myimage5 myimage6